Ludlow, St Laurence
District: Church Stretton
Number of Bells: 10
Tenor Weight: 16-2-16
Practice: Monday 7:30 (door locked after 7.45 so no access after)
Sunday service ringing: 9:00 am
Access: No car park - find space in town Access to the ringing chamber by very long stone spiral staircase.
Contact: Mr RJ Bracher, Larks Rise, Bleathwood, Ludlow SY8 4LR
01584 811514; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Link to the church information page on A Church Near You website
Notes: Augmented to 10 in 2009.
|1||4-2-20||G#||1624.0||66||1935||Gillett and Johnston, Croydon|
|2||5-0-17||F#||1451||69.7||1935||Gillett and Johnston, Croydon|
|3||5-1-12||E||1297||72.1||2008||Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd|
|4||5-2-27||D#||1215||75.1||2008||Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd|
|5||6-2-7||C#||1084||81.1||1732||Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester|
|6||7-0-8||B||968||86.4||1732||Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester|
|7||8-3-11||A||865||94.5||1732||Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester|
|8||10-1-7||G#||811||96.6||2008||Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd|
|9||12-3-13||F#||725||107||1732||Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester|
|10||16-2-16||E||647||120||1732||Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester|
More information on Doves Guide
Link to the Felstead peal database
Search Ringing World bellboard
The bells originally formed a ring of eight from the Rudhall foundry with a tenor weighing 25-0-18 in the key of D and were tuned and rehung with new fittings by Taylors of Loughborough in 1988 when they recast the tenor.
Tower movement had always been a problem when the bells were rung and a decision was subsequently taken to remove the tenor from the ring and remodel them into a lighter ring of ten using the old seventh as the tenor and adding further bells to complete the peal.
Two redundant bells from Kidderminster were purchased to become the treble and second of the ring of ten, the additional new bells all being cast to special profiles to match the two ex.Kidderminster bells. The old Sanctus and a new bell were tuned to produce the notes of a treble and second in twelve to extend the compass of a new automated carillon system and the old fifth bell was retained and tuned to be a semi-tone bell.
All thirteen bells were tuned at Whitechapel. The complete peal was rehung with a mixture of modified original and new fittings and a new automated carillon system provided, all by Nicholson Engineering of Bridport